Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Vegan Oreo cookies with a Hanukkah twist.



Three fillings: white, peanut butter, and chocolate ganache
 
Well, Hanukkah starts tonight. Feels like we just got the Thanksgiving mess cleared up and here we go again firing up the stove!


To get myself in the mood for more serious cooking in the afternoon (latkes, jelly donuts and onion rings are on the menu), the morning was spent making cookies.  How else does one celebrate a holiday (any holiday) but by whipping up something delicious and decadent?  But what would be both "day before Hanukkah"-worthy AND appeal to the bimbi?   They were still reeling from my last batch of cookies, where we all found out that kids don't like fresh ground cardamone in their cookies... anyway, today Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero came to the rescue with their vegan oreos recipe (found in Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar).  Come to think of it, the oreos are giving Isa Chandra and Terry a chance to redeem themselves, since the cardamone cookie recipe that bombed with the bimbi last week was also theirs, albeit came from the Wholesome Cookies section of the book - should have known to stay away... :)


Vegan oreos are some of of my faves - I make them often because you just can't mess these up, and also because you can make them in two steps - first the baking, then the sandwitching later.  Best part is that in winter my kitchen is always cold, so I get to skip the part where the dough has to sit in the fridge.



Festive Hanukkah-inspired cookies, just out of the oven

Thanks to my trusted Hanukkah-shaped cookie cutters in hand, all four oven trays were soon loaded with bake-ready cookies, and twelve minutes later, voilà! -   Just remember when making sandwitch cookies of different shapes, that you have to cut out even numbers of each shape, so that when it's time to assemble them, each side will have a match. Happy Hanukkah everyone!









2 comments:

Laloofah said...

Happy Hannukah! I'm celebrating it by becoming your first follower (an auspicious beginning!) :-) Thanks for letting me know about your new blog!

Those cookies look and sound delicious - tonight I'd definitely go for the ones with the chocolate ganache filling. It's been an "I neeeeeeeed chocolate" kind of day.

I'll try to do more catching up tomorrow ~ enjoy a cookie for me (and an onion ring or two as well! Yum!) and your next week of Hannukah festivities!

VeganVoilà said...

Truth be told, we all woke up feeling nauseous the next morning. Between the onion rings, latkes, and jelly donuts, it was entirely much fried food! Certainly more than we're used to in one sitting... I kept justifying the greasy menu by saying that Hanukkah is really the festival of oil, not lights, but ended up paying the price! Oh well, it's back to the usual baked tempeh and brown rice regimen for a while, or as my (non-vegan, close-minded) younger brother calls it "my tofu and grass diet". If only he knew ...:)