Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The mother of all tofu presses.


My giant press, or as I like to call it, "my medieval tofu tower"!
 When my family eats tofu, we eat tofu.  As a result, the internet-bought tofu press I'd ordered from England just wasn't cutting it.  Don't get me wrong, the tofu tasted fine, but there just wasn't enough of it for four bean curd enthusiasts.  In comes MHH (My Hot Husband), my resident McGiver.  After a thorough explanation of the problem ('honey - if you want tofu, you gotta build a contraption to press the stuff that comes out of the soymilk maker') MHH got to work in the shed.  Wonderful things had come out of the shed before, so I had every reason to believe that this time would be no different. And sure enough, with the help of four wood planks, a couple of nails and an electric drill, MHH's creative talents gave birth to a new, family-size (okay, giant), tofu press!



The tofu press that drarfs all others
 If you peruse the internet for tofu press making instructions, you'll notice that one can get very fancy (notice I didn't say anal, but I could have), but I assure you that, aesthetics aside, my rustic-looking barely-sanded-down suitcase sized press works like a charm.  In the photo, I made a rather small hunk of tofu, using only 4liters of homemade soymilk, but I have in the past made twice the amount in one go.  The end result is so delicious, I can leave the tofu out on a plate with a salt shaker and a knife nearby, and my five year old bimba who normally pecks at food like birds do, will walk by and help herself to a big chunck. You know you're doing something right when your kid chooses tofu over cookies :)

2 comments:

Laloofah said...

That is one impressive tofu press! I love your name for it ("medieval tofu tower!" LOL)

We often make our own soy milk but have not yet made our own tofu. I've heard that nothing can beat the freshly made stuff, and bimba certainly seems to prove that's true. I don't own a tofu press and have pondered buying one from time to time, but think I'll hold out for a homemade one too, if BW is up to the task! :-)

Virginie said...

This is the giantest tofu press I've never seen. I've got the same plastic one, and it's true we can't make more than 200 g of tofu with it.