Sunday, December 5, 2010

Vegan Challah recipe from an unlikely source.

 
Vegan Challah. And yes, I only own one Hanukkah table cloth,
which I use over and over again!
My mother-in-law's Hanukkah present threw me for a loop this year. Like most upper middle East Coast jewish women, she has impeccable taste, high standards, and a superhuman talent for surrounding herself with beautiful and expensive things.  So for the past fifteen years as MHH's slightly eccentric but personable wife, I've enjoyed the pleasure of her generous and tasteful gifts. Mostly hip clothes and custom jewelry. 
This year though, MIL branched out.  The present I opened last night was a book, and not just any book.  It was a cookbook.  What's so weird about that, you ask?  Well, let me answer by saying that the "V" word usually falls under the heading of "don't ask don't tell".  Vegan isn't tabu per se, but it leads to the kind of conversation that goes nowhere and is usually avoided altogether whenever we get together. 

But back to the weird cookbook.  It's called Quiches, Kugels, and Couscous: My Search for Jewish Cooking in France by Joan Nathan.

My first thought on opening the present was "What was MIL thinking?" I mean, I can handle a bit of veganizing here and there when it comes to recipes, but quiche, really? It's got to be just about the hardest thing to veganize -- basically all cheese and eggs, right? Pleeze.

So I came really close to dismissing the book entirely, but luckily decided to give it a chance, if nothing more because the author travels right near where I live in Provence, barging in on Jewish families as she goes from one end of France to the next.  I was really glad I kept an open mind (isn't that always the case?) because I uncovered a really good challah recipe.  Easy to veganize and pretty. 

Rabbi's Wife's Challah
Ingredients

1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 cup of lukewarm water
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon egg replacer
1 1/2 tablespoon water
1/6 cup vegetable oil
3 1/2 to 4 cups of flour 
1/2 teaspoon salt

Method: Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the lukewarm water in the bowl of a countertop mixer equipped with a dough hook. Set aside to rest for ten minutes, until the yeast starts to bubble. Meanwhile, mix the egg replacer and water together until smooth, then add to the yeast mixture along with the oil.  With the mixer on low speed, start adding the flour and salt, one cup at a time. You should obtain a smooth dough that is tacky but not sticky.  Let the dough rise for 45 minutes in an oiled bowl covered with a towel.
 
When the dough has doubled in size, punch it down, then divide into three equal pieces.  Roll each piece into a rope, about 15-18 inches long, then braid.  Bend the braid into a circle and connect both ends, forming a pretty wreath-shaped bread. Place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and paint dough with non-dairy milk. Allow the dough to rise again for 45 minutes, covered, then paint again with non-dairy milk.  Put the challah in the oven and turn temperature to 400 degrees.  Cook for 30 minutes, or until the top is a golden brown and the crust sounds hollow when tapped.  Let cool before slicing. Et voilà!


Vegan Challah - and yes, I only own one Hanukkah table cloth, 
which is why you see it all my holiday photos :)
 
 

   

5 comments:

Laloofah said...

I've never had Challah before (so far as I know!), but it sure is pretty! You did a beautiful job! I'm glad you found an easily veganized keeper recipe in the cookbook your MIL gave you! Does it look like there might be others?

I've not yet made a vegan quiche, but I know there are tons of recipes for them out there (all using tofu, as far as I can tell). Have you ever made one from a recipe that's vegan to begin with? I'm tempted to try this one.

I love the image of that cookbook author "barging in" on Jewish families from one end of France to another! LOL She must have done all that before you moved there ~ otherwise, shame on her for missing you! She could have stayed at your B&B AND gotten some lovely vegan recipes for her cookbook! Maybe next time. :-)

Your Hannukah tablecloth is very festive and your towel beside the Challah is pretty too!

VeganVoilà said...

Challah is really one of those dishes that evoke good memories for me ... I love baking a loaf every Friday - it's a really nice way to mark the end of the week, and the passing of time in general. And having something I made be a part of our weekly shabbat gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling :)
I haven't had much time to dissect the new cookbook, but I keep glancing at the cover and sniggering because the picture of the author (Joah Nathan) looks like it could have been taken in the fifties, even though the book just came out.
That vegan quiche recipe you mention looks fantastic - I love Susan's blog and wish I could take gorgeous pictures like that :)
What kind of dogs do you have? We have yellow lab named Max. (Bimba calls him a labradog -cracks me up each time!) Max was the kids' present for moving to France (okay, I'll admit it, it was an old-fashioned bribe!). He's become a huge part of our family - we found him at a gipsy camp about an hour from our house, and really lucked out with him.

Oh, and did I mention he's 95% vegan? He eats all our leftovers, and all our vegetable scraps (broccoli stalks and the like), which I steam for him and mix with grains. We switched him to a vegan diet after the vet told us he needed to lose some weight (about 5kg), and the "Light" dog food just wasn't working.

Max has been in top shape since he eats like us, and the vet didn't quite know what to say when I took Max in for his shots last year and told him Max had become vegan. People in this area of France can barely wrap their mind around humans having a plant-based diet ... to think that pets can do that also (and be perfectly healthy) is just too much for them to comprehend :)

Still, I don't know many dogs who get to eat leftover organic au-grating potatoes, stir-fry, and soup on a regular basis! Max literally has three-course meals every evening - you won't hear him complain! You know, you just inspired me to write a post about the life of a vegan French dog. Thanks!

Laloofah said...

Your replies are always such fun. :-) Mine is too long for Blogger to accept, so this will be a two-parter...

Your Challah bread sounds special in many ways, so I'm glad that cookbook provided a good recipe for it! And you are so right, that cookbook cover looks so Betty Crocker circa 1958! LOL

Susan does take wonderful photos, they look really professional (in fact she did the photography for a vegan cookbook, but I can't recall which one). Have you ever read her post with food photography tips? Her examples of her "truly awful early photos" crack me up, because they look a lot like my best ones now! LOL Oh, well... I'll blame it on the fact I don't have nearly as fancy a camera as she does. ;-)

Our dogs are all mixed breed rescues. They each have quite a story, of course, but I'll give you the condensed versions in Part 2 of my comment. :-)

Max sounds like a sweetie and a very lucky boy!! I'd love to see pictures of him sometime! Our dogs have been vegan for about 3 years now. I love your idea for a blog post about Max's enviable French vegan lifestyle! :-) Have you ever checked out my friend Molly's blog, It's a Vegan Dog's Life? She's got some great treat recipes, tips and resources for vegan dogs and their people. :-) Our vets and their staff were nonplussed by our dogs' veganness. But our girls look great, have lots of energy, and always have great blood work, so I think our vets have learned a few things! (Most of the vets out here are ranch vets, they have a hard time "getting it.")

And now on to Part 2, the "Tails" of my dogs... ;-)

Laloofah said...

As for our furbabies...

We adopted Willow in 2002 from the local animal shelter. She was about 2 at the time, dumped by a family with 12 kids who had clearly tormented her. Even now, she shies away from most children. She's a collie/border collie mix, and the sweetest, smartest dog I've ever known (funniest, too!).

We also adopted Josie from the shelter, but she was a special adoption arranged by our vet with a lot of hoops to jump through to get her). She was found pregnant (along with her pregnant daughter), filthy and undernourished near the Montana border (everyone thinks she came from the Reservation up there). No one knows her story or how long she and her daughter had been on their own, but at some point Josie had been shot in the hind leg and never given any medical attention, so it healed short and nearly backwards. Our vet considered amputating it, but it doesn't seem to cause her any pain and she does use it to pivot and to steady herself. We adopted Josie after two of our elderly dogs died, in 2005 when she was about 2-3 years old) and she and Willow were instant best buddies. We have no clue what mix of breeds Josie is. Some husky probably, golden retriever and/or yellow lab maybe, perhaps some German Shepherd - she could even be part coyote ~ our vet thought so, and also wondered if that's why someone shot her. >:-( She's been through an awful lot (heartworm and bladder surgery too!), and though she can be more aloof than our other dogs, she has such a sweet disposition.

We adopted Tess (also 2-3 years old) a month after we got Josie, through Petfinder. (I'd been forbidden to go to the shelter anymore, but no one said anything about Petfinder being off limits! LOL) I was actually trying to find a dog for my mom who'd thought she'd like to adopt but then changed her mind. Too late, I'd already found and fallen in love with Tess! So I went up to northern Montana and brought Tess home. She'd been badly abused and is still very timid around men and startles easily. But she's happy with us, and loves hikes and car rides above all else! :-) She's definitely part chow (1/2 to 3/4) and we think maybe Australian Shepherd but aren't sure.

And thus ends the world's longest blog comment! (Well, maybe not, but it's the longest one I've ever written! :-)

VeganVoilà said...

You know, the world needs more people like you. I'm just so against puppy farms, when there are so many dogs out there who need a home. It's really one of society's non-sense, isn't it. Your dogs sound lovely - each with their very distinct personality! Our dog, Max, had to be put on a diet last week after a visit to the vet revealed that he gained 15lbs in six months. Truth be told, he did look a bit pudgy, but I just wrote it off as carrying a bit of extra protection for the winter months ... then I finally understood why he'd gained so much weight, but it turns out that my parents, who have recently moved into a house across the couryard from us, had changed their cat-feeding habits, and Max was taking advantage of any stray bowl of cat food tht was left unattended. Now that's been remedied, and hopefully he'll regain his slender figure and forego all the terrible illnesses that the vet threatened him with (diabetes, joint problems, etc...).